60 x 100 Pole Barn – A Pole barn, also known as the post-frame building has been around since the 1930s. But its design and construction were only refined in the 1970s and 1980s. In this article, you’ll learn about pole barn, the uses of 60×100 pole barns, and how much it costs to build one.
Post-Frame Building vs Pole Barn
Today, when we say pole barn kit, it can also mean post-frame construction. But in the past, there is a clear difference between the two.
Post-frame construction refers to the construction method that uses the load-bearing post to support the roofing system instead of the stud framing used in traditional houses. Then, the posts used are utility or telephone poles; that’s why the building is referred to as pole barn.
Now, when we say, post-frame building, we don’t mean that we use poles as posts but rather the posts consist of a square or rectangular post. Usually, 4×4, 4×6, 5×5, 6×6 or larger treated lumber or laminated columns. Here are some of the essential elements of pole barns:
- Pressure-Treated Lumber – Pressure-treated lumber is primarily used as posts and skirt boards. It would help if you treated those lumbers that will be placed 18’’ from the ground with Alkaline Copper Quaternary (ACQ), Copper Azole (CA), or Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) before putting them on the floor.
- Fasteners – Before applying the fasteners on treated lumber, make sure that they are corrosive-resistant. Some corrosive-resistant pins include stainless steel or hot-dipped zinc-coated galvanized steel. The same type of metal can be used for metal siding and trim. The best posts are either treated solid-sawn post or glue or nail-laminated columns. The standard sizes are 4×6, 6×6, 6×8, or 8×8 depending on the design. The posts are placed on the ground wherein at least ¼ of their length is buried on the land.
- Post Footing – You can place approximately 18”-24” of concrete footer pads at the bottom of the hole. After placing the footer pads, you can now set the wood post. The size of the pad will depend on the size, height, and other details about the building.
- Girt – Horizontal framing member, either 2×6 or 2×4, is nailed from post to post. They are installed perpendicular to the post
- Top Girt/Truss Carrier – Truss carrier refers to the girt positioned at the highest level from the ground. It can act as a beam when a truss is not attached to a post.
- Trusses – Trusses can either be directly attached to the post (4’-10’ space on center) or attached to a truss carrier beam.
- Purlins – For roof purlins, the usual sizes are 2×4, 2×6 or 2×8 lumber positioned between the trusses. Roof purlins give framing for metal roofing or roof sheathing.
- Siding – The most common siding used for a 60 x 100 Pole Barn is a 29-gauge painted ribbed steel which is available in different colors and patterns. You can directly apply the sidings to the wall girts.
What Are the Uses of 60 x 100 Pole Barn?
There are various ways by which you can design and construct a 60 x 100 Pole Barn according to your liking. To give you an idea of the possible uses of 60×100 pole barn kits, I’ve listed some of them below:
- Garages – You can use a 60 x 100 Pole Barn as a storage area for your collection of vintage vehicles, sports cars, etc. You can even use this space to store your RV/camper, and boat, among others.
- Equipment Shed – A pole barn can be a safe place for your equipment such as tractors, lawnmowers, hedge trimmers, tractors, pesticide sprayers, fertilizer spreaders, and garden equipment. It is also possible to use a pole barn as your greenhouse.
- Workshop – A vast space such as a 60 x 100 Pole Barn kit can function as a workshop with living quarters and an office.
- Events Venue – Instead of renting a place every time you conduct a large event, why not use this pole barn kit as your venue? You can install a snack bar, chairs, tables, sound system, etc., to make the place suitable for your event.
- Horse barns – A 60×100 Pole Barn is a perfect size for horse stalls, tack room, and hay storage. Metal pole barn kits will provide a comfortable, safe environment for your animals.
- Storage – A 60×100 Pole Barn can be used for general storage, such as for business inventory, household items, or farming equipment. There are numerous possibilities for what you can do with a 60×100 Pole Barn. The size and height of the barn make it a versatile structure that can be used for a variety of purposes.
- House – You can use a 60×100 Pole Barn as a house. With some modifications, such as adding windows and insulation, a pole barn can be constructed to function as a comfortable and stylish home. There are a number of companies that specialize in constructing homes out of pole barns.
Of course, you don’t have to limit yourself on the listed functions of pole barns above since a 60 x 100 Pole Barn is versatile and can be built around your wants and needs.
Need An Architect For Your Pole Barn? Compare Architect Prices and Save!
Simplify your research by letting us do the work for you.
Benefits of Owning Pole Barns
There are various reasons why you should consider owning a 60 x 100 Pole Barn. Here are some of its benefits:
- Aesthetic value – Pole barns can be designed to have a classic or modern look. You can even paint it with your desired color scheme to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
- Functionality – Pole barns are versatile and can be used for various purposes. You can use it as a garage, equipment shed, workshop, events venue, and more.
- Affordability – Pole barns are cheaper compared to other types of buildings such as metal sheds or storage units.
- Easy to construct – You can either construct the pole barn by yourself or hire a contractor to do it for you. Either way, it is relatively easy to build a pole barn.
Pole barns are a great addition to any property since it has numerous benefits. With its aesthetic value, functionality, and affordability, you can’t go wrong with owning a pole barn.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a 60 x 100 Pole Barn?
Compared to a stick-built structure, a pole barn is significantly less expensive. A 60 x 100 pole barn with 6000 square feet of interior space will cost about $42000-$36000 to be built depending on how much customization you need such as:
- External aspects (cupolas, porches, wainscot, etc.)
- Internal aspect (Insulation, living space, etc.)
- Interior finishes (cabinets, plumbing, masonry, flooring, framing, HVAC, etc.)
- Pole barn kits or custom pole barns
Before you begin building your post frame construction project, you should first secure a building permit which will cost you money. The city or county will ask you to pay a permit fee for a permit depending on the size of your barn and its function.
Pole Barn Kit Prices
If you want to build a 60×100 pole barn kit, you can do so by having a builder build a pole barn kit. Pole barn kit prices will depend on the materials used, the company you purchase it from, and the customization options that you choose. Generally, a pole barn kit for a structure this size will cost between $49,000 to $100,000.
To save on pole barn kit prices, you can also try to price out a steel building. A metal building is a great way to save on costs since a metal building can be less expensive than wood pole barns.
Metal Building Prices
If you want to construct a 60×100 metal building, the cost will depend on the company that you purchase it from as well as the customization options that you choose. On average, metal buildings will cost between $25 to $55 per square foot than a wood barn kit. So, for a 6000-square-foot structure, the price will be between $150,000 to $330,000.
To save on metal building prices, you can try to find a company that offers discounts or promotions. You can also try to purchase the materials yourself and hire a contractor to construct the metal building for you.
Benefits of Pole Barn Kits
There are several benefits of buying pole barn kits, which include:
- You can save money – When you buy a pole barn kit, you can save money since you don’t have to pay for the labor costs associated with building a pole barn from scratch.
- You can build it yourself – If you want, you can build the pole barn kit by yourself since most kits come with easy-to-follow instructions. The only exception would be if you choose a kit that requires professional installation.
- You have the option to customize – When you buy a pole barn kit, you can choose from a variety of customization options to make the pole barn unique to your needs.
- You have flexibility on where to build it – When you buy a pole barn kit, you can build it anywhere you want since you don’t have to pour a foundation.
- You can choose the finishes – When you buy a pole barn kit, you can choose the finishes that you want for your barns such as the roofing, siding, and windows. You can also add personal touches to make it more unique.
Pole Barn kits are a great way to save money and still get the pole barn that you want. Just make sure to do your research before buying a kit to make sure that it is the right one for you.
Custom Pole Barn Prices
The cost of a custom pole barn kit with 60×100 size will vary depending on a number of factors, including the materials used, the company you use to build it, and the customization options you choose.
Need A Prefab Garage For Your Home? Get A Prefab Building Delivered Fast and Save!
Letting us help you find the right building fast and easy.
Building a 60×100 pole barn from scratch will cost between $40,000 and $80,000. If you want to save money, you can try to find used materials that you can use for the barn. You can check online classifieds sites or ask around.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Building a Pole Barn
Several factors will affect the cost of building a pole barn, including:
- The size of the structure: The larger the pole barn, the more it will cost to build.
- The type of materials used: The type of materials used will affect both the cost of the materials and the labor involved in building the pole barn. For example, using a steel frame will be more expensive than using a wood frame.
- The type of roof: The type of roof you choose for your pole barn will also affect the cost. A metal roof will be more expensive than a shingled roof.
- The number of windows and doors: The more windows and doors you have, the more it will cost to build your pole barn.
- The type of garage doors. Walk-in doors can be added to any size garage door.
- The level of customization: The more customizations you make to your pole barn, the more it will cost.
- The amount of insulation: The more insulation you add to your pole barn, the more additional cost you may incur. Insulation options include both spray foam and fiberglass.
- The location: The location of your pole barn will also affect the cost. If you live in an area with a high cost of living, the pole barn will cost more to build.
Why are Steel Buildings Preferred for Post-Frame Buildings?
There are many reasons why steel buildings are preferred for post-frame buildings.
- Steel is stronger than wood, so it can better withstand high winds and heavy snow loads. A steel building will also last longer than a wood building, so it will be a better investment in the long run.
- Steel buildings are also fire resistant, so they can provide an extra level of protection for your property. Steel is also non-combustible, so it will not contribute to a fire.
- Steel is termite-resistant, so you won’t have to worry about pests damaging your building. The lifespan of a steel building is also twice that of a wood building, so you won’t have to worry about replacing your building as often.
- Steel buildings are also more energy-efficient than wood buildings, so they will help you save money on your energy bills. The energy cost of a steel building is about 30% lower than the cost of a wood building.
- Steel buildings are also easier to maintain than wood buildings. Steel buildings don’t require painting or staining, and they are not susceptible to rot or mold.
If you are looking for a post-frame construction that is durable, long-lasting, and easy to maintain, a steel building is the best option. Compared to other metal buildings, steel buildings are the most economical choice.
How to Find Your Perfect Building
When you are looking for the perfect building, it is important to consider your needs and budget.
The first step is to determine the size of the building you need. The size of the building will be determined by the number of horses you have and the amount of equipment you need to store.
Do you want to also have living quarters, garage, storage, house, attached to the construction project?
Once you know the size of the building you need, you can start shopping around for the perfect building. Many companies offer custom-built pole barns, so you can find a company that will build the exact size and type of building you need.
When you are comparing prices, be sure to ask about any discounts or promotions that may be available. Many companies offer discounts for cash payments or early payments. Be sure too to request a custom quote so you can get an accurate estimate of the cost.
To make the process easier, once you have found the perfect building, be sure to get a written estimate that includes the cost of materials and labor. This will help you compare quotes and make sure you are getting the best deal possible.
Internet Discussion of a 60×100 Pole Barn
Need A Prefab Garage For Your Home? Get A Prefab Building Delivered Fast and Save!
Letting us help you find the right building fast and easy.
Popular Building Sizes
Pole Barn Kit Construction
Pole Barns can be built several ways. You will need to decide which construction method suites your needs and fits on your property.
Stick building is a traditional way of framing a barn building. Most custom builders use this as their preferred manner of constructing since they tend to build barns that are unique. Roofs, floor trusses and all framing is, in effect, created on site from individual pieces of lumber.
Pole barns and garages can be built much quicker than traditionally constructed buildings. When constructed to your specifications, pole garages and post frame buildings are the perfect solution to your storage needs. They are an economical solution residential construction.
Metal Buildings are an economical solution for both commercial and smaller residential construction. This style has straight walls with a gable or sloped roofing system. Steel Buildings are an economical option they will save you money and last you a lifetime.